This was the second year in a row we were fortunate to speak to the high school students participating in Young Entrepreneurs Academy through the Michigan Chamber of Commerce. The program allows middle and high school students to gain the tools necessary to start and run their own businesses.
Throughout the year, the children are taught by trained instructors from several industries and are exposed to guest lecturers, successful entrepreneurs and mentors. Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Attend field trips for an behind-the-scenes look at local businesses
- Pitch their business plan to local investors for startup funding and the opportunity to advance to regional and national competitions
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a local YEA! Trade Show
- Launch and run their own business or social movement
- Graduate from the program with lifelong leadership and business skills
We were pleased to teach the students about the basics of business insurance and how to identify the unique exposure each of their businesses possess.